Freedom

Posted by Clayton & Company at 11:37 PM

Sunday, June 22, 2008

We live on a great street. There are at least 20 kids (ranging from 4-13 years old), and whenever it's not raining you can see them playing out on the street. They play soccer, hockey and hide-and-go seek. They also ride bikes and razors, complete with homemade jumps.

The amazing thing is that you rarely ever see parents watching them, even the younger ones. When we were first here I often spent a lot of time outside watching the kids. After a week or so I would resort to checking on them every 15 minutes or so. Now I only come running when I hear crying...usually after Ruby has crashed.

The kids love their new found freedom and I'm sure when we move back they will have a hard time being reigned in by the mommy police.

PS-They took them off for the picture, but I do still enforce the helmet rule. I'm guessing it's not a law here because a lot of kids never have them on. Especially with the number of times my kids crash (usually into eachother), I find helmets are a top priority.

3 comments:

jenerekfamily said...

Sounds AWESOME!

Julie said...

i don't think Marge ever watched me while I was outside riding my bike or playing. Maybe thats why I broke my arm (s) so many times? eh bumps make ya tough as you guys say, right?

Sessie said...

Just checking in on the Claytons. Glad to see you guys are well!
Steph K