Wind chill

Posted by Clayton & Company at 2:48 AM

Monday, April 5, 2010

The first week of March the sun began to shine, the snow was melting and I was sure that Spring had arrived. Leave it to me to jinx everyone else. The second week of March brought freezing cold temperatures, made worse by the bise (pronounced "bees").

Last winter we learned that the bise are strong, freezing cold winds that blast their way through the valleys of the Alps. They clocked the winds over Lake Geneva on March 8th at 90 km/hr (about 56 mph). You can imagine what it was like for the kids who had to walk to school in those conditions with the thermometer reading 18 degrees Fahrenheit. I had pity on Alex and Ruby and actually drove them.

I tried to take a video of what it was like outside but it didn't really do it justice. The winds are a lot louder than they come across on the movie. The filming is horrible because I was freezing and my hands were shaking. You can see the neighbor's swing blowing above. The wind blew so hard that the swing flipped around and around until it was stuck to the top of the playground!


2 comments:

Penny said...

I thought la bise followed us to Reno! Sorry to hear it made the trip back to Switzerland!

Mamalar said...

ask pete to tell you about the beautiful east winds at the meachams house. ahhh fond memories.