Day 1 in Bassins

Posted by Clayton & Company at 4:55 AM

Monday, April 14, 2008

We woke up on Tuesday ready to take on the challenge of moving in. As we headed to our house we thought we would swing by McDonalds (again) to pick up breakfast. Unfortunately we found out that it doesn't open until 9 am. We were stuck eating Zone bars for breakfast and our kids were not too happy about it.

As we started driving up the hill to our village it started snowing. (I should backtrack and tell you that the shuttle driver mentioned to me the previous night that it never snows in April. I guess we just got lucky.) The kids were happy to be able to play in the snow but the movers weren't exactly thrilled.

After backing our van out of the truck, they began bringing our boxes in. Unfortunately they had to carry them in one by one so that I could check them off of our list. I guess you are responsible for making sure that all of your things arrive....and in one piece. Pete left me with the list and the job of telling them where to put everything. I felt bad watching them carry our heavy things up the stairs (often times up 2 flights). On the other hand, I was glad it wasn't Pete and I doing it. Pete took the kids driving in search of a grocery store and something to eat for lunch.

The movers had the truck unloaded by lunchtime and took a break. This gave us a chance to nap Henry and go over things with our relocation agent. After lunch the movers came back and began to unpack boxes. This was funny to me because they just randomly put things away in cupboards (glasses, seasonings and tupperware all in one cupboard) and stashed stuff on shelves (books upside down, sideways stacked and dvds in a bookcase). Oh well. The great thing was that they put all of our beds together. This meant all I had to do was locate the bedding and make the beds.

Around 6 o'clock we headed back down the hill in search for dinner. Pete and I had gone to a place in December that had a non-smoking area so we thought this would be our best bet. Unfortunately we found out that they are not really open for dinner until 7:30 pm. We ended up eating sandwiches for the second time but stopped by a little crepe stand for some dessert which we all loved. I could have eaten about 5 on my own. The funny thing is they give you this utensil that is half knife/half fork and it is worthless. You can't cut very well with it and the fork part doesn't work well either.

By the time we were finished we were all a sticky mess. Pete took Alex and Ruby to the bathroom to wash their hands and while he was gone I sat on a bench with Henry. While I was waiting, a man came and sat next to me and said, "Bonjour". Of course I replied back, "Bonjour". Then he started playing with Henry and talking rapidly in French. I had no idea what he was saying so I just smiled and nodded like I understood. Anyway, his daughters came out of the bathroom and as he stood up to leave he smiled and said, "Bon nuit"(good night), to which I replied, "Bon nuit". I'm still wondering what exactly the conversation was about. I'm so glad that Pete speaks french.

0 comments: