Legal

Posted by Clayton & Company at 2:20 AM

Wednesday, September 30, 2009


After four months, I was given my license back. I can now drive legally in Switzerland and Lichtenstein. May and June were the hardest months because the kids were still in school. July was spent in the US, where I drove to my heart's content. August was sort of a laid back month and I did cheat a few times. Just like everything else, I spent months worrying about what I would do without it and in the end it was no big deal. I thought I'd get up on my soapbox and share a few lessons learned.

1. It's ok to let people help you out
For the months of May and June, I depended on friends to help drive me and my kids to English class, church and other activities. It was not easy to constantly be asking for favors I couldn't return, but we live far out in the country and public transportation wasn't really an option. Many thanks to everyone who was so nice and saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I couldn't have done it without you.

2. It's not that bad to stay home
I thought without a car I would be bored out of my mind. Although I will have to admit that there were slow days, it was nice to cut out all the extras and just do the necessary things to get by. I did my grocery shopping online or on Saturdays when Pete could drive. I spent a lot of time playing with the kids. I got a lot of projects done that I had been putting aside. All in all, it was a really productive 2 months.

3. There is always a silver lining
Henry is potty-trained which I know would not have happened if I had not been stuck at home. For those of you who have labored to get your child out of diapers, you will know that it is not easy when you are constantly in the car running errands and what not. Being at home with nowhere to go gave me the perfect opportunity to work with Henry. I think the first day I took him to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so.

I am now on probation for a year. If I get another speeding ticket, I will automatically get a 1500 franc fine...on top of what they decided to fine me for the new infraction. They take speeding very seriously over here. Should you happen to receive a ticket while driving in Switzerland, don't say you weren't warned.

3 comments:

The Titmi said...

I didn't even think about you driving here but that is funny! Henry's hair soooo blond- What the What?

Penny said...

Congrats!! Glad you are legal again!

Jeff and Marge Clayton said...

Your DL picture looks like the lady in Twilight. Christina, did you turn into a Vampire?