Christmas at school

Posted by Clayton & Company at 3:27 AM

Monday, December 15, 2008

The other day I found Alex busy working on this:
Thinking he brought it home from church, I asked him if his lesson in primary had been about the birth of Jesus. Looking confused, he asked me what I was talking about. Long story short, he was working on his homework from school. I was shocked and happy at the same time.

When I was in elementary school, every December we had a "Christmas Sing". We sang Christmas songs and Hanukkah songs and for some reason, nobody was offended. Not any more. With all the cries of "separation of church and state" going on right now, it makes it nearly impossible to enjoy our beliefs, whatever they may be, without upsetting someone else.

This December I feel like I have been transported back a few years. Alex and Ruby have both learned Christmas songs (in French of course) and worked on Christmas projects (religious and secular) at school. One day I wished someone "Happy Holidays!" and she replied back, "And a Merry Christmas to you also!" I love it that people are not afraid to express what they feel without worrying about what someone may think.

Alex has another book from school that not only teaches about Christianity but also includes sections about Jewish and Muslim beliefs. I think it's great that he is being exposed to what other people around the world believe. I love it that our family is making friends with people from so many different countries who speak different languages, celebrate different holidays and have different customs than our own. I can see the kids becoming more open-minded and accepting of others. That is one Christmas gift I couldn't place under the tree.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Lucky duck. Your cute kids are having the experience of a lifetime.

Jeff and Marge Clayton said...

Yeah for school in Switzerland!!!! I am thrilled to hear that religion is still alive and part of the world. In the US, the prevailing religion seems to be secular humanism or just plain NON - religion. I am happy for the experience your kids are having there even though we miss you all terribly.