Don't you love Switzerland? Part 2

Posted by Clayton & Company at 3:51 AM

Tuesday, May 26, 2009


One day when Ruby was home for her lunch break, we were riding razors down the street. Up ahead in the road I could see something moving but I wasn't sure what it was. I told Ruby to stay put while I rode ahead and checked it out. Sure enough I found a turtle, stuck on it's back. Ruby told me that one of her friends on the street had a turtle and it was probably hers. I carefully rolled it over and then told Ruby to stand guard while I found someone who could help us.

Fortunately, the closest neighbor (Remember my post about Evan? It was his dad.) was not only home, but was outside working. In my amazing french I asked him if he could help me. He was confused but followed me out to the street. To his surprise there was a turtle in the street and to my surprise, the turtle belonged to him! Apparently he has 3 turtles and while his kids were showing them to their friends they left the gate open and this one had gotten out.

He was really grateful to us for finding it. Had we not spotted it, it may have gone the way of many a roadkill before. For our reward, he taught Ruby how to pet it right underneath it's head. Don't you just love happy endings?

1 comments:

Jeff and Marge Clayton said...

I still remember driving down Hunter Mill Road in Virginia and thinking that I was about to run over a brown paper bag in the street but as I got closer I realized it was a box turtle crossing the road. Lets just say that I'm glad your story had a happy ending. Mine didn't! A couple of weeks ago when we were in VA again, we drove down that two lane road and I remembered the whole scene again.