No more for me thanks, I'm full

Posted by Clayton & Company at 12:12 AM

Sunday, February 15, 2009

After reading my post about illnesses, you may have thought like I did, "wow, things can only get better." Wrong again!

10 days after Alex finished his penicillin, he woke up complaining about a sore throat. A few hours later he had a new rash and a strawberry tongue. We took him on yet another trip to the doctor to find out that he had scarlet fever for a second time. Wondering how that could be possible, I questioned the doctor. Apparently since scarlet fever comes from strep throat, you can get it over and over. This time around the rash was much worse and his skin is peeling. The good news: most people over 15 years old don't get it which means that Pete and I should be fine. Alex has been on antibiotics for 4 days and hopefully we've seen the last of our little red friend.

Little Miss Ruby has not fared much better. After finishing her penicillin, she developed a strep B infection. I didn't really think that was possible at her age but was again informed by the doctor that it is quite common after being on strong antibiotics. The antibiotic apparently kills all the good bacteria making way for the bad to creep in. We had to take a sample in and of course it came back strep B positive and so she is back on antibiotics. Luckily she hasn't seemed to miss a beat and I'm grateful she is such a tough kid.


And then there's Henry. One day when I was in the midst of my sicknesses, I put Henry down for a nap. A few minutes later I heard a loud crash and he started crying pretty hard. Thinking he fell out of his crib I rushed in only to find him lying down in bed. Being a little out of it, I didn't turn on the light or check him or anything. I just patted his back until he stopped crying and then went back to my room to lie down.

An hour later when he woke, I went in to get him and found his bed covered in blood. Apparently he had bonked against the crib/wall and cut his lip pretty badly. I contacted all the medical people in my family only to find out that you can't really sew up the inside of the lip because the sutures don't hold. So for over a week he has had a fat lip with fibrin pushing out of the wound. On top of the drool problems he already suffers from, he has had difficulty eating and swallowing.
I know it looks like a canker but that is actually "lip guts" that have pushed out through the hole.
When I took Alex into the doctor, he checked Henry as well. He had swollen glands and a fever and the doctor decided it would be best to put him on an antibiotic as well - just in case. Now we have 3 kids on antibiotics, lots of upset stomachs, next week there is no school, and I'm hoping we can use the time to rest and recoup.

4 comments:

Julie said...

yikes! Poor kids! Looks like Henry is a trooper regardless.

Tami said...

I can't believe what you guys have been through! Here's hoping you're all well soon and that you get to enjoy some good health for a while.

Tami said...

I can't believe what you guys have been through! Here's hoping you're all well soon and that you get to enjoy some good health for a while.

James said...

Buck up Christina! You are living in Europe! It is alot tougher there than soft SoCal.