Romans and aqueducts

Posted by Clayton & Company at 5:09 AM

Thursday, June 11, 2009

One of our highlights in Southern France was visiting the Pont du Gard. The Romans built this aqueduct in 1 AD to supply water to the city of Nimes. I had seen pictures before we went, but it is amazing in person. It is the second-highest standing Roman structure (the Colosseum is #1) and the main arch is the largest the Romans ever built. When you are walking across the bridge looking up-close at the stones (some which weigh as much as 6 tons or so I read), it is hard to imagine how the Romans could have hauled those into place without modern machinery.


the Clayton family
the Larson family
"I wonder if I could parachute off the top into the water..."
I don't remember having any pictures like this with my cousins
A view off of one side of the aqueduct...
...and one off the other
Josh, Sadie and April
Hard to believe that this whole thing was made without mortar and is still standing
Alex, Henry and Ruby
3 cute kids

0 comments: