Top ten

Posted by Clayton & Company at 2:51 AM

Saturday, June 27, 2009

About a week ago, an article entitled, "The World's Best Places to Live 2009" caught my eye. After reading it I felt pretty good about our current situation considering that 3 of the top ten cities were in Switzerland.

#2 Zurich, Switzerland
About a week ago, an article entitled, "The World's Best Places to Live 2009" caught my eye. After reading it I felt pretty good about our current situation considering that 3 of the top ten cities were in Switzerland.
#3 Geneva, Switzerland

#4 Bern, Switzerland

As I continued down the list I was surprised not to see any US cities...especially after I kept passing cities in Canada (sorry Pete and Peter Harker). I know I'm biased, but the US is a great place to live and I can think of lots of great cities that could have been chosen. It wasn't until I reached #29 that we made the list with...


Honolulu, Hawaii

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed (even though Hawaii is a great place), but after reading the list I walked away pretty smug because we live in the third best place in the world.
Then a couple of days later Pete forwarded me a link to another article. This one, entitled "The Most Expensive Cities in the World" by a Mr. Bruce Einhorn, really burst my bubble. Once again, 3 cities in Switzerland made the top ten, with Geneva being the most expensive. In order to see some of the differences between Switzerland and the US, I've decided to add some facts from the article. The amounts listed have been converted to US dollars and in case you didn't know what a quick lunch is (I didn't), it's more than Rubio's but not as fancy as Roy's.

8. Geneva, Switzerland
2008 rank: 6
Movie ticket:14.07 (this is a lie...tickets here are around 20)
Quick lunch: 27.57
Washing machine: 1213.67 (this is for an average machine not top of the line)
Kilo of rice: 3.48
Can of soft drink: 1.02 (another lie...I've never paid this little for a soda)

9. Zurich, Switzerland
2008 rank:8
Movie ticket: 14.11
Quick lunch: 21.56
Washing machine: 978.45
Kilo of rice: 2.79
Can of soft drink: 0.99

10. Basel, Switzerland
2008 rank:9
Movie ticket: 13.73
Quick lunch: 21.15
Washing machine: 744.59
Kilo of rice: 3.01
Can of soft drink: 1.03

17. Manhattan, New York
2008 rank: 84
Movie ticket: 12.07
Quick lunch: 18.61
Washing machine: 1111.85
Kilo of rice: 5.01
Can of soft drink: 1.49

25. Honolulu, Hawaii
2008 rank: 88
Movie ticket: 9.36
Quick lunch: 20.88
Washing machine: 898.85
Kilo of rice: 4.01
Can of soft drink: 1.28


My first thought after seeing these numbers is that an amazing place to live comes at a high price. This thinking is definitely false. There weren't any cities in Southern California that made either of these two lists, but I think many of you would agree with me that it is pretty awesome to live there. A lot of times places seem very exotic and dreamy, but in the end home is where the heart is, or so I've heard.

0 comments: