Apple strudel and more

Posted by Clayton & Company at 4:54 AM

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Our ticket into the Schonbrunn also gave us access to the court bakery, complete with a demonstration on how to make apple strudel and some yummy samples. We were lucky enough to hear it once in German and then again in English. Marge, I took some of these step by step photos for you because I think you are one of the only people I know who would be brave enough to give it a go. Maybe you already have.

We all sat around these cute little tables in this basement kitchen watching our pastry chef, we'll call her Liesl
She rolled out the dough on this raised board that actually spun around in circles while she was rolling it out
I don't know if you've already figured this out, but this is the dough she is stretching out with her hands and arms. It was amazing. I'm still not sure how it didn't rip apart.
When she was finished stretching out the dough, it was so thin that you could read a brochure right through it
Putting the apple mixture in
Rolling it up and sealing off the ends. I can't even tell you how yummy REAL apple strudel is. I think we ate it every day we were there.


A lot of the traditional Viennese food is delicious. This picture is of their potato salad. It is not made with mayonnaise like it is in the States. It was quite tasty.
I'm not sure why Europeans are always talking about how large American portions are. This was one of the schnitzels that Pete ordered. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but it was bigger than my two hands
This is one of the dishes that I ordered. It was little dumplings cooked with eggs. It was so good, but again they gave me enough food that I could have fed myself and all of my kids.

1 comments:

Penny said...

I LOVE that restaurant at Schonbrunn palace! I've been twice, once for lunch and once just for the apple studel! You will have to get the Little Einsteins Halloween on iTunes if you don't already have it. They go to Schonbrunn, Neuschwanstien and Buckingham Palace.