Growing pains

Posted by Clayton & Company at 12:29 AM

Sunday, March 1, 2009

About a week ago, Alex and Ruby pulled out the video camera and wanted to watch some home videos. I have to admit it's been a while since we've used our video camera, let alone watched any of the movies. Although the kids loved it, for me it was bittersweet.

Sometimes it's hard to extract myself from the present and remember that my kids have not always been at their current age/stage in life. Watching them as babies and toddlers reminded me of how much they've grown and how quickly it's gone by. It reminded me to really enjoy them now because this stage won't last and also to appreciate all of the fun they have brought into my life.



Alex is almost 7. He is outdoing me in French and I'm sure it won't be long until he adds other things to that list. He knows the words to more songs than my sister Charlene and I have to be careful what I promise him because he never forgets and always holds me to my word. Although he can be silly and does plenty of things to remind me he is 6, he is often serious and contemplative. My brother commented to me once when he was 3 months old that he was the most serious baby he had ever seen. I think his exact words were, "He's like an old man in a little body". While this may be true, I'm so glad he was the first one to come into our family.


Ruby is 4 1/2. She can out-talk anyone in English and I'm sure it won't be long until the same is true in French. The other day I asked my dad if he wanted to talk to her on the phone and he said, "I don't have that long". She is still in love with babies...real ones are preferred but she can be pacified with dolls. She constantly asks for a little sister. When I remind her that we don't get to choose and would she still want a baby if it's a boy, she says she needs time to think about that. Out of all our kids I think she has grown up the most since we moved. At 3 feet 3 inches, 30 pounds and a size 8 shoe, she is tiny but makes up for it with her big personality. Everyone at school, including all the teachers, know Ruby.


Henry is a few months shy of 2. He is happy and easy going. I know that we could not be having this adventure with any other baby. He is flexible and copes well with our hectic schedule and travels. Of late he is keeping me on my toes and he is pushing the limit of his physical abilities. He has no fear of dangerous things. This past week he has fallen down the stairs twice, fallen off a stool, a chair, his toy bins and the couch. At times he thinks he is the same age as Alex and can't figure out why he can't do things by himself. He's becoming easier to understand although if you aren't a member of our family I think you would still be confused. We all love hearing him sing the "Happy Birthday" song. I'm excited for this summer when he will get the chance to be reacquainted with everyone.

0 comments: