Oh go away and leave me alone

Posted by Clayton & Company at 11:40 AM

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I know I'm a total wimp when it comes to cold weather. I've already complained about it several times on this blog. But give me a break! My first year back in a cold climate and it has been snowing for 6 MONTHS. You can check back to an October post to confirm this. The problem I have is that last winter it snowed 3 times. That's it. Three times all winter long. Ironically, we were here for one of them. It happened on our first day in Switzerland. You can check my April post to confirm that as well.

Several of Pete's colleagues say that we are a curse. At first that idea was laughable to me. We moved from the most perfect, mild climate anywhere. How in the world could the cold weather have followed us? But then strange things started to happen. The day we left Venice it started to snow and the next week Venice was flooded. The day we left Paris it started to snow. In a short time they had received 4 inches. Remember our trip to Interlaken last July? It rained everyday...in the middle of the summer! I don't know what to make of it anymore.

When February ended, Pete and I made a small wager how many more times it was going to snow this winter. I, of course, picked the bigger number. One day I called his office to tell him that it was snowing AGAIN and I was going to win. He told me it didn't count if the snow wasn't sticking to the ground. So throughout the day I took these pictures and emailed them to him. I'm pretty sure that 4 inches of new snow count. The crazy thing that day was that it wasn't even raining at Pete's office 30 minutes away!
I'm sure that you are already bored by this post but I just thought I'd end by mentioning that yesterday was a balmy 52 degrees. As I walked to and from the school several times I thought to myself, "Ah, spring at last". This morning I woke up to a white lawn and it continued to snow on and off all day. Ah nuts.

4 comments:

jessi said...

That is quite the snow you got up there today! Yes, we were at the park for over 3 hours total yesterday - enjoying the spring as well. It has been much more of a winter even than last year here in Switzerland. Thanks to you guys I am sure :) We got just a few flurries here in Gland this morning, but we did get to go out amidst the clouds and occasional sunshine, so if you need a bit more spring than Bassins has to offer - come down and play with us in Gland!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Remember how you lived in Utah all those years? Remember how its cold and snowy there? Guess all that California sunshine made you forget!!

I would be over the snow too if I was you though. I was home for a month at Christmas and I was the biggest wimp- I could barely stand it for that long. I wish that when we are done living in Europe we would have a reason to move to California. Does needing to live close to an in-n-out count?

Jeff and Marge Clayton said...

I'd say that someone up above is trying to teach you a lesson of some sort so you'd better hurry up and learn whatever it is before there is another storm!

I remember hearing 'folks' in Torrey actually express *gratitude* for snow because it watered the crops and gave them water to drink in the hot dry summer - not to mention giving color to make the world so beautiful. ;)

I've heard it said that "there must needs be opposition in all things" and that we must experience the bad to know the good. I hope that So. CA doesn't have too bad a drought when you return there. (Of course they will continue to get water from the snow in Utah.) While I am a total warm weather person myself, I have to say that the beauty of Switzerland surpasses almost anyplace I have seen - even when it is cold.