jail bird

Posted by Clayton & Company at 10:43 AM

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's been a while since I've played monopoly, but I'd really like a "Get out of Jail Free" card right about now.


You may have been wondering what has happened with my speeding ticket fiasco. Well, last week I received a letter from the court stating that I need to appear in person on December 3rd to speak to a judge. Apparently because the crime I committed is so bad and I don't earn any money, they are not sure how to proceed with my punishment. I don't have to go of course, but in that case I will get the most severe sentence. But it gets better.

After scanning and sending the document to Pete at work, he spoke to his boss who knew from day one about the incident. His boss said to contact HR and see what they think about the whole thing. Well HR ended up contacting the corporate attorney who then got back to Pete. It doesn't look good.

According to cases last year, I could:

1. Get a fine anywhere from $1000-$30,000 AND

2. Lose my license for up to 3 months AND

3. Go to jail for up to 3 days OR

any combination of these 3 things. How do you like them apples?

The corporate attorney gave Pete the phone number of a private attorney and suggested that we contact him, at our personal expense of course. And if you remember correctly, this all began when my kids started fighting in the car. I'd say this has become a VERY expensive lesson on patience and kindness.

Pete will be calling the lawyer tomorrow and we will keep you updated on the happenings here. One thing is for sure, I will move out of Switzerland before I spend 1 minute in jail. Thus when you visit in the future, know that there may be an outstanding warrant for my arrest.

6 comments:

Carli said...

Oh my goodness! All for speeding? All I can say is God bless America!

Jeff and Marge Clayton said...

The plot thickens.....duh-duh-duhhh-dud! In America, you would have just gotten grounded. I'm so sorry!!! In China, they probably would have killed you so be grateful for a measly fine. Why don't you plead for mercy and tell the judge you will do community service for a while? You could pick up trash on the side of the road or something. :-D

Julie said...

YIKES!! $30,000??? And JAIL? ugh.

Good luck with that.

Julie said...

I would recommend joining some type of gang before you go to jail. This can not only bring you protection but also street cred. Street cred is very important in jail...or so I've heard. This is Spencer, just trying to help.

Tami said...

Poor Christina! What a nightmare!

Audra Bollard said...

This is so unbelievable it's funny . . . almost. Where are the 32 Irvine 4th ward attorneys when you need them?!