skip the cake and pass me some hot chocolate

Posted by Clayton & Company at 3:43 AM

Monday, January 26, 2009

On our way back to Switzerland we decided to make one last stop at Versailles. On our original trip to Paris back in July, we had also planned on stopping here. All I can say is 6 months made a huge difference. Instead of sunshine and beautiful gardens we had frigid temperatures and snow.

Much like Notre Dame the day before, the whole world was visiting Versailles the day we were there. Even though we arrived when it opened, the lines were already long and the palace was packed with people. Through all that I have to say that it was amazing and now I have a better idea of why the poor, starving people in Paris were revolting against the monarchy. No expense was spared in building Versaille.




Me and Henry in the hall of mirrors

One thing that I found to be really weird and a little crazy was the modern art displays they had inside of Versailles. Take this giant, pink "balloon" dog. Although Ruby was in love with it, to me it took away from the beauty of the palace...not to mention it made an already crowded room just that much smaller. In my opinion, this belongs in my 4 year old's hands at a birthday party or at best in a children's museum.
Alex, Ruby and Henry taking a break on the stairs inside
I would love to own this globe

Pete and Ruby with the gardens in the background
Our group at the backside of the palace
a view of the back of Versailles from the grounds
I imagine the gardens and the fountains are a lot prettier in the spring and summer.
They seemed to go on forever.

Our group calling it quits and bidding farewell to France

1 comments:

Audra Bollard said...

Just catching up on your blog a little bit.

Happy (belated)30th Birthday! And what a great story to go with it, those Paris pictures are beautiful. I'm reading a French historical fiction series right now and your blog is giving me perfect visuals . . . if only we could just come visit!

Oh, and someday I want to hear the background stories on some of the items on your 30 list--YOU got send to the principal's office?!